Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity - May 25, 2013 - Year C - Roman Catholic Lectionary

Readings:

First Reading:             Prov 8:22-31
Psalm:                         Ps 8:4-5, 6-7, 8-9
Second Reading:         Rom 5:1-5
Gospel Reading:         John 16:12-15



The icon that I have posted above happens to be one of my favorite Greek/Byzantine icons.  Being Roman Catholic (Latin Rite), and not of the Eastern Rites of the Catholic Church, I feel like I have missed out on some of the most beautiful eastern images and art work of Christianity.  This particular image of the Most Holy Trinity has always caused a 'stir' within my mind, body and spirit.  When I look at the three persons that are sitting, reclined at table, I imagine them all having a conversation with one another.  It almost reminds me of three old friends, gathered at table to break bread or have coffee!  What an image for us...the Most Holy Trinity having pastry and coffee with one another.

The Most Holy Trinity is one of the most mysterious doctrines and theologies of the Church.  Not much is written on the three persons of the Trinity, but Jesus gives us a glimpse in today's Gospel about the 'Spirit of truth' and how that spirit will guide and sustain us.  Jesus says to the disciples in John's gospel, "I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.  But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth."  I think one of the primary focuses that we can take away for ourselves from today's gospel is the phrase 'I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.'

Those words remind me of the great Mystery of Faith, or what we call in Catholic theology, the "deposit of faith."  I find it interesting that Jesus says to the disciples that he has a lot more to say, but that they cannot bear it now!  And don't we find that to be true in our own lives?  How many times do we say to ourselves or to one another, "I just can't take any more today" or "How much more can I handle, God?"  It happens to me frequently.  Maybe we need to heed the words of Jesus, and only take on what we can handle at one time.  A good priest friend of mine said to me once, "Jason, pick one or two things in ministry and do them well, instead of taking on several ministries at the same time.  You can't give proper attention to all of them if you have too many."  As the People of God, we should be mindful of what we are 'taking on' in our lives, and how much we are overloading ourselves.  And maybe when things do get to be too much - maybe we should think about handing some of that over the Trinity. 

It may be time for us to ask the Trinity to let go of some of our responsibilities and duties that we do not need.  It may even be a time of letting go of possessiveness, or obsessive compulsive thoughts and control.  As we enter this very long stretch of Ordinary Time, and throughout the summer months - maybe we should think about taking a step back, breathing, and letting God the Creator, Jesus the Redeemer, and the Holy Spirit - the Sustainer, bring our lives back into focus.

Author's note:
Peace and blessings on your week.  And I am sorry for having been away from this blog as a contributor for so long.  It is good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment