Saturday, December 8, 2012

December 8 - Advent

Today’s Scriptures: Lectionary selections from the Revised Common Lectionary Year C

Luke 1:68-79

Malachi 4:1-6

Luke 9:1-6

Today’s Reflection:

The more I look around and want, the more I realize how much I actually have. When I wonder whether I am in a place to give what the Lord asks from me, I realize that, despite my meager means (I am far from the 1% - probably around the 50%, but that puts me in the top 10% in the world). Regardless of where I rank percentage-wise in the world, I am reminded by the Luke 9 passage that I have everything I need to do what Christ asks of me. He sent them out with nothing but the clothing on their back and the shoes on their feet and the authority to do everything he had done.

 

The to the apostles’ success came through the last clause: “the authority to do everything he had done.” Christ did not send them out wandering aimlessly through the land. He sent them out with purpose. As long as they worked toward that purpose, he saw that their needs were met. The sending of the twelve was not the only time God cared for those who were out doing his work. The Hebrews wandering in the desert had manna and water. Prophets frequently had their needs met despite hardship inflicted on the people.

 

The lessons of faith and sustenance come in handy for us today and especially in the season of Advent as we look forward to his coming. There is no promise of wealth or excess, only sufficiency to accomplish that which we are commanded.

Revised Common Lectionary Daily Readings, copyright © 2005 Consultation on Common Texts. www.commontexts.org

 

No comments:

Post a Comment