Sunday, December 11, 2011

Advent - December 11


Psalm 63, 98, 103

Amos 9:11-15

2 Thessalonians 2:1-3, 13-17

John 5:30-47

Putting everything in perspective often presents one of our greatest challenges. Those things that affect us are most important for us and when something disrupts our routine or blocks a resource we regularly use creates chaos in our life whether merited or not. I wake up extra early in the morning so I can have my coffee before diving into the day at work. On days when I sleep through my alarm, or stay in bed later than I should, I just know my day is going to be bad.

Does coffee really make that much difference in my day?

Today’s passages help us put our lives in perspective. Jesus reflects on the eternity the witness for him. The psalmist writes, “As for mortals, their days are like grass.” The author of Thessalonians reminds the church to look forward to the return of Christ (and an earlier Psalm encourages Israel to look forward to the day God comes to rule on earth).

In the scope of things, my coffee is insignificant.

In the scope of things, I am insignificant.

Yet the passages today offer so much hope, reminding us that though we are limited as mortals, we are a part of God’s plan for eternity. He remembers us, embraces us, and forgives us our shortcomings.

In the scope of things, I am insignificant, but God remembers me and knows my place in his plan. For this reason, I take great joy and can cry enthusiastically, “Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name,” because he knows my lowly name.

No comments:

Post a Comment