Saturday, December 17, 2011

Advent - December 17


Psalm 55, 138, 139

Zechariah 8:9-17

Revelation 6:1-17

Matthew 25:31-46

A few nights ago, I learned that a dear friend of mine is facing a major crisis in his life again. Learning that he once again fell prey to demons that have long haunted him struck me like a kick in the gut. The frustration I experienced in the moment blinded me to any positive outcomes until I read today’s passages.

Psalm 138 and 139 offer great comfort to those who are struggling in this time of the year while many of us prepare for a season of joy, others descend into despair. These passages affirm that God remains with us no matter the circumstances. Psalm 138:7 says, “Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve me against the wrath of my enemies: you stretch out your hand and your right hand delivers me.” I know that despite his troubles in this time, God will remain with him and see him through this time of difficulty.

Despite my personal frustration and disappointment in the situation, the Matthew passage reminds me of my duty as a Christian. These are the things God is calling us to do as a part of our witness. Faith without action is dead and these actions are so basics, at the judgment, the holy do not remember doing them. In our living today, they are the things we are to do at every opportunity. When I forgot what to do about my friend, this passage reminded me.

The loving God we serve serves us too. In this season of preparation, let us remember the call to action while we are opening our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment